Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The art of not knowing

How do you know what you want in life? Does the sky clear up and the sun shine down exactly upon your forehead? It seems as if so long ago it was possible to determine what came next and what exactly it is that you wanted. Now, as a college student-you learn to adjust. You learn to adjust to fall-outs, cancelled plans, pop quizzes and yupp, even those 20 page assignments due, wait, when? Next week?! Yes even those. You see, as an adult you learn to never “be married” to one thing, because it can change within a matter of seconds. That’s what makes it so much harder to determine what your next step in life is, where will I be I five years?
 When do you draw the line between pulling out the post-it notes and just go with the flow?
Well, I certainly can’t give you the answer to that one just yet, but I can tell you that from when I started college in 2009 to this day, I never really planned anything at all. I went from class to class, from friend to friend and I just lived. I took each day for what it was-another day. Another opportunity, another dream another laugh…another memory.
Last weekend I had to be at work at 7 in the morning for one of our biggest events, On Friday night, I decided to stay in, do some studying and enjoy a nice peanut-butter &jelly sandwich. Well, at about nine that night my cousins decided to take an hour trip to a haunted house in El Paso. At first I said no, but then I thought, why not? I would be back that night (a little later than I had hoped) but I got a chance to spend quality time with my family and friends and spend the night laughing away! Why not?!
The haunted house wasn’t scary at all, but it was fun. It was fun to not know whether a zombie or a ghost or a man with a chainsaw would be at the next corner. It felt so good not knowing.
My life and yours may not be a simple haunted house, but if we keep killing ourselves over the fact that we just don't know, then it will be! (Let's hope not)
Maybe that’s the art of not knowing, it’s the simple fact that whatever comes next, whatever is supposed to happen, will happen. If it’s meant to be, we will be inclined to make a decision. We might not have a complete and intricate tangled web of the next steps, but it’s okay. That’s how we learn to adjust and to keep going--thru plain old experience, day to day living.
This may not compare to making decisions about buying a car, deciding what to do after college and whether your future kids will each have their own room (mine won’t) But it’s the same concept.
So Aggies, as you walk down the I-mall to get some studying done, take a breather and sit in that grassy spot next to Zuhl instead, and just inhale and live… and then get your studying done. : )

-Just Josie







No comments:

Post a Comment