Thursday, January 27, 2011

Modern Day Cowboy


                I wake up in the morning and I raise my weary head. I feel like I’ve got an old coat for a pillow and the earth was last night’s bed.  The sun starts to peak through the dorm curtains. I’m a guy who likes to start workin’ in the early mornin’. I’ve got to get a move on if I want to make it to my destination by nightfall.
                I get out of my bed and check an open box of pop tarts; it looks like I have a package left un-open. I fix me a cold breakfast of pop-tarts and a cup of OJ (the same breakfast I have been eatin’ for months). As I devour the meek scraps of my breakfast I try to remember the last time I had a warm breakfast with all the fixings’. I recon I may stop by the local diner sometime soon if I make it out of this week alive.
                I throw some water on my face. I put on some beat up jeans and boots. I pull out a Dallas Cowboys shirt from my unpacked bag. I like to keep myself ready to depart camp at anytime. I’m a Texan, a Texas boy born and raised. I rode up here and setup my camp here in New Mexico because I am a devil on the run.
                I pack a sack with things I will need for the day. I leave my camp and walk out to the University campus. The small town of New Mexico State University is already booming with life. I am surrounded by new faces. Citizens and towns folks who will not judge me for the crimes I had committed.  The people up here are kind and helpful. I take a walk down to one of my classes.
                The Wheel in the sky burns bright. There ain’t any cloud out beyond the blue sky. I start to forget about walking to class and decide to head out to the highway. I start to walk back up to my camp where my steel horse awaits, my dark charcoal colored steel horse...

No comments:

Post a Comment