Wednesday, April 6, 2011

After the Sunset

You know the old western story…
The one where the outlaw makes a run to the border to escape whatever it is that was chasing him. Usually the outlaw makes a run for México in these western stories.

Everybody has their own version of that story. I know the term “outlaw” is an old western term but here I mean just a person.

There are some people who may have done something bad in their past lives and then there are those who just dreamt of being somewhere better.  Different people all looking for their “Mexico” to escape to. They are looking to start all over, Be Free.

I am a senior about to graduate in a month with my bachelor’s degree. I have been reflecting back on my time in college. It has been a relatively bumpy road but the day I never thought would come is almost here.

I am fearful of the looming reality that is the “real world”. I have yet to decide if I want to start working or return for my master’s degree. I have yet to really define my future I guess.

The Las Cruces sunset really helps soothe my soul though. Usually I can pull up to a diner and stare at the open horizon. I can watch the Sunset from Sonic or count the stars from a clearing close by after I have run the campus track.

I may not know where I am going in a month but I do know that I had found my “Mexico” here in Las Cruces. I feel free. I feel like my past is far away behind me  and now I can focus on my future,  whatever it may be...

-Crimson Kris 

No comments:

Post a Comment