Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Catching the Right Lead

So fellow Aggies I do believe it’s time to tell you all a little bit about one of my classes as an Animal Science major…On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I have had the opportunity to take a breaking and training class for the Equine portion of my requirements. To put this in easier terms, basically I get to train a young horse down at the NMSU Horse Farm. I know, I know, sounds pretty exciting. Well it definitely has been one of best classes this semester, but there are certain things when working with young horses I have discovered, if they get tired and aggravated you will also soon after. If they have their own idea of what they should be doing they will try at all costs to fight you till you give in or give up. And then here’s the kicker the easiest of motions, such as being on the correct lead (or the correct foot) when loping in a circle, can often turn into such a tiring battle there is no turning back to being in a good mood after. My horse Bruce has worked so well in getting on the correct leads the past few weeks, but for some reason this week he has no idea what I am asking for…can you guess what foot were having trouble getting into sync with the rest? You guessed it… the RIGHT! However, as I look at this small set back I can relate to how he might be having trouble. When we stumble it’s hard to get back on track with how we should be going, it takes some time to get up and get back in the swing of things. I’m not saying that we won’t ever get back on the correct lead let alone the right lead. I still may be aggravated with Bruce right now, but at some point something will click and he’ll realize that once he hits that right lead things will be all downhill from there. So my final thoughts that I will leave you with today will be…If you stumble, don’t stay in the slump it puts you in, it will be far easier to try and get back on track.

Always,
Aggie Girl Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment