Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Crimson Breakfast Club (How I Met Everyone)

 Where did I leave off? That’s right….

Kids in the Spring of 2012, Your father was attending New Mexico State University. At the time I was trying my best to stay afloat my first semester in Grad School, 

At the same time I was serving as an NMSU Aggie Ambassador .I worked alongside a colorful bunch of processors, advisors & students in that office

Remember how I told you earlier about the time I was going to be a fire fighter before I pursued Journalism. How I proved to my superiors that I had what it takes when the cadets had to race each other to push a van across a park and back to the academy. In my team, my group gave up but your father never stopped pushing, never stopped running and pushed that van by himself for a while until I reached the finish line…

Well kids that couldn’t prepare me for what I had to endure in those offices. I could handle the parents and students on tours, that was easy. Your father had a way of entertaining his tours.

I’m talking about, my co-workers

Pushing a van with 210% of my strength was easy, but sitting down listening to chick talk gossip is harder to endure. Especially when Lydia, you know that pretty hazel-eyed brain I always talk about, she was smart but man did she drive your father nuts. She was hell bent on trying to get your father to drop the comic books and jump out a window. 

She and especially that Country Girl I always forget her name. Oh yeah Hannah, I tell you with her there was always something up with her and a guy somewhere. Some guy from her past, some guy from her present, some guy she never met, some guy on an NFL team. Her and Jodi, who was a rebellious firecracker of a girl

Remember the other day when you guys were watching E! News and I said I used to work with that intelligent woman you saw on TV. Well that Beauty Queen was Josie, she was a talker too.

Then there was Kayla, who was such a beautiful free spirit. She was pretty chill, different from the other girls. I could sit with her be myself and talk about music, you know how your father loves Led Zeppelin, and well she just got it and helped restore your father’s faith in women. Every time I hear Tiny Dancer I think of her

I don’t think I would have survived without your Uncle Charles. Kids before he was known as Senator Turner he was kind of a jock. We had some memorable nights in those days. Charles and Albert that Captain America Foreigner I talk about changed my life that semester.

See kids, People see us as they want to see us... In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. 

But what we found out is that each one of us is a foreigner, a brain, a jock, a beauty queen, a geek, a teacher, a student. I learned that we had nothing in common, but each other...

Sincerely yours, The Crimson Breakfast Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment