Monday, March 26, 2012

Tools for Success

The first thing I heard about in the office today was about our upcoming New Student Registration. I reflected back on my NSR Day, I was nervous but excited, it was 90% excited and 10% scared, heck for all I know it could have been 90% scared 10% excited but that is what is so great about the unknowns.

In college you need a few things to be successful, for everyone else these are different. I will share with you what I believe are my keys to being successful in college and in my life:

Faith: I know college has a lot to do with personal drive and motivation, but for me I get a lot of inspiration and drive from the Lord.

Family: A supportive family is a great way to become successful in life and at any goal you have. With the motivation from family you set your mind to accomplishing tasks you would otherwise find difficult. I recall after my high school graduation a man I call Uncle Mike came up to me and said "Charles, if you come back from New Mexico State with anything short of a degree I am going to kick your butt." (Alright, maybe he didn't say butt, but this is a great job and I dont want to lose it.) I have never known Uncle Mike to be a liar, and I am not about to find out.

Freedom: I know what comes to mind when you hear the words "Freedom" and "College" put together in a sentence, but that is not how I am meaning it at this point in time. Freedom in college is to not be taken for granted or taken advantage of, you must learn how to manage your freedom and get your work done. If you slip up on managing this, your time at the university will be fun, but short.

Duty: This goes along with Freedom, you have a duty to get your classes and work done, you are here to have a good time, meet new people, and get a degree. Keep your eye on the prize as they say and get the degree you are seeking. Remember the main reason you came to college in the first place and you will be fine.


Always an Aggie,
CT

No comments:

Post a Comment