Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homesick Student Season


Hello Aggies!


I hope you all enjoyed the long weekend!


I would like to share with all of you a reflection of mine. As a student where home is over 8,000 miles and despite having a year under my belt at NMSU, the feeling of homesickness starts to kick in right away. Obviously after years of living with your parents, living on your own is still a huge new adjustment. Almost everyone is feeling this way a little bit, even if they don’t always say it. When you are having a low day and wish you had the comfort of home to cheer you up, you have to find some things to temporarily replace that while at school. After a month of being away from home (Yes, I am feeling it already) and developing your own life, again. Nothing replaces family and close friends, but you can still get that homey feel when they are no right here with you.  Here are a few things I researched and personally do that help me cope with all the homesickness:


Get Involved:
Make new friends! Being with other people is one of the best ways to start feeling good about your new environment. Even if you don’t know anyone very well yet, consider joining a club or organization. It’s not too late to check-in Corbett and see what clubs you can join that interests you!


Skype
It can be very refreshing to get off the phone with your family and begin seeing them in person. Skype allows you to chat and interact with your parents, siblings, or even see your family and family pet/s….. We have a rabbit!


Print Plenty of Pictures
Decorate your bedroom with pictures of family and friends that show your best memories with them. My friend gave me this scrap book to flip through when those moments are kicking in but it always makes me feel better.


Write Letters
Yes, cheesy, but, there are not many times you receive mail in the dorms or at your apartment. If you begin writing friends and family, it keeps you excited when the letter is coming. Oh, plus, it helps with your writing skills!...... I can’t wait till mine arrives. ;)  


Get Ahead in Your School Work
To consume more of your time, get ahead in your studies. Even if you are just sitting around watching a movie feeling lonely, make some note cards for your text the next week. This will put your mind on something more beneficial than feeling down.


Find Local Home Cooking
It is nice to have some home cooked food. I am trying to hone my own skills in cooking my native dish…. Hey, I might even post the recipe soon! Anyways, all college students get sick of having the same old campus food ever day and night, so it is nice to have a homey meal that reminds you of your parents.


I made one of the most difficult decisions moving half way across the world from everything I love and hold dear to my heart, to gain the skills and knowledge that I need to pursue in order to reach my dreams. After spending a year here at NMSU, I realize that coming to this school was the best decision I made. So, if your feeling a little homesick do not worry, it happens to everyone. The feeling doesn’t last forever and soon you will be back to normal! Let me know if you have any thoughts or comments. Have a great rest of the week!


Live. Learn. Thrive!


And……….


Go Aggies!


-Aggie Albert

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! I still can't wait for Thanksgiving break and xmas break. lol.

    ReplyDelete